Friday, March 26, 2010

On My Professional Career

I studied psychology at the University of Wisconsin and Columbia University. From 1937 to 1951 I taught at Brooklyn College. In 1943 I published a paper called "A Theory of Human Motivation", in which can be found my theories on motivation and self-actualization, now more commonly known as "Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs". In 1951 I left Brooklyn College to go to Brandies University to chair the psychology department. At that point I basically arrived at the top of my professional career; by 1959 I was famous not only nationally but also internationally because of my "Hierarchy of Needs". I am now considered the founder of Humanistic Psychology. I was at one time the president of the American Psychological Association. As I have become older, however, I have begun to find significance in other work and in my own personal life, which is why I chose to leave my more "prestigious" position and accepted the directorship of a research project in California. I wanted to be able to have more time to spend with my daughter and granddaughter.

_________________________________


Mills, R. (2006). Leadership in higher education and the second half of life. Education, 127(2), 294-302. Retrieved from ERIC database.

No comments:

Post a Comment